Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9579 - 07/12/05 09:47 PM what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
seveland Offline
Loc: PA
I just installed a K&N 9" cone filter. I got the air filter along with the install kit from PFYC. With the instructions that came with the install kt, it told me to removr the PCM from the old air box and "set it aside for now". but, it never mentions the PCM again after that and now the new cone filter is installed and the PCM is just kind of sitting in there loose. What do most people do about that?
#9580 - 07/12/05 09:53 PM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
When I did mine, I strapped the PCM to the flat piece under where the air box used to sit. I put one screw on either side of the PCM and used a piece of metal to make a bracket, there is a hole there as well on the flat piece, I used that to run a thin piece of metal to support the CAI pipe I put in, one end in the hole, the other is attached to the underside of the filter

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#9581 - 07/12/05 10:16 PM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I just set mine right were it sits. Some have strapped it down using various methods, zip ties, etc...
Mine now sits inside my CAI.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#9582 - 07/13/05 01:23 AM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
RyanJ Offline
Loc: Warren, Michigan
I was a little worried at first about doing it, but I just zip-tied the PCM down to theat flat piece under where the cone is.

'99 GP GT, Custom CAI, 180 T-Stat, U-bend Delete, NGK TR55IX plugs and Taylor Super Spiro wires.
#9583 - 07/13/05 03:01 AM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
seveland Offline
Loc: PA
cool. the install kit came with zip ties, guess i know what they were for now.
#9584 - 07/13/05 08:41 AM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by seveland:
cool. the install kit came with zip ties, guess i know what they were for now.
I'm such a dumb-A**.
That's what those zip ties are for!
blush

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#9585 - 07/13/05 10:11 AM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Recommend placing in a homemade surrounding around the cone filter.
If you just having an exposed cone filter, the engine just vacuums in hot hood air. Better to oscillate the intake or else it’s a HAI instead of a CAI.

You can make an enclosure out of cardboard. From there. put duct insulation ($3.00 per roll) around the surrounding. Use the left over duct tape as a cushion for the PCM. Use strong Velcro for the added support.

As far as the top, home depot may have a clear material available in scrap that can be trimmed to fit perfectly and look professional.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#9586 - 07/13/05 10:11 AM Re: what to do with PCM after installing cone filter?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
Quote:
Originally posted by seveland:
[b]
I'm such a dumb-A**.
[/b]
No comment! crazy

I strapped my PCM with velcro and zip ties and is inside my CAI.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali