Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95789 - 06/07/07 11:13 AM Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
Alright, I have a stock gtp, and i really enjoy scaring my friends in the corners. But I don't know anything about suspensions on cars. So I am gonna have a lot of questions about upgrades.\

Thanks for your patience and sharing your knowledge.

Keep checking as i am sure i will be posting more ?'s as time goes by.

Alright, I want my car to ride on rails.

1.) First up, a lowering kit, I would like to have a little bit of a raked stance, how does a kit work, and what should I expect to do?

2.) http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=pk12456148. Is this the GMPP handeling kit that I have heard about?

3.) What is the point of things like subframe connectors? Trailing Arms? Swaybars?

I plan to print off responses and begin buying parts one at a time untill i have them all and then install at one time. Thanks again!

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#95790 - 06/07/07 11:15 AM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
The Fridge Offline
Also, I plan on new struts, does this affect the lowering kit?

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#95791 - 06/07/07 11:40 AM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
All a lowering kit is is springs for the most part. Usually the coils are packed closer together to allow a drop, some cases they might even be lighter sprung. If your changing springs it's a good idea to do struts. If your struts are old, the sudden extra compression from a drop will make them go bad if they weren't before. Add a camber kit and anti-pogo kit to your list of things to do.

Link on the GMPP handling kit doesn't work, just it consist of sway bars, strut tower bars, and rear trailing arms. Add another strut tower bar for the rear and you're golden. This kit will do the most for handling, period.

Subframe connectors? Sway bars tie the control arms to the subframe and thus car. They prevent chassis flex/lean while taking corners. The thicker the bar, the less it lets the car lean. Trailings arms are just structural items for control flex in the rear suspension. Tubular ones are a lot stronger than the stamped ones from the factory.
#95792 - 06/07/07 12:17 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
I've got bigger sway bars, rear strut tower brace, B&G springs, and GXP Struts... Car handles nice, but there are other things I'd like to put on if I keep the car for any great length of time.

I'd recommend Eibachs with the GXP struts if you have the money. Nextlevel strut tower braces and sways. And if you want more then go with BMR trailing and latteral arms...

Just my humble opinion...

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#95793 - 06/07/07 01:05 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
Drew521 Offline
Loc: New Jersey
It all depends on your budget. How much are you looking to spend because of course - you get what you pay for. If you want to go all out you're going to want 3 things:
1) KYB AGX struts paired with Vogtland springs (you should also replace the strut mounts).

2) Upgrade to heavier duty swaybars and putting on strut tower braces (you should also check your tie rods, ball joints, hub bearings, etc... to make sure they're not loose which they probably are if its a higher mileage car).

3) Tires would be the last thing - you want something with a stiff sidewall or even better upgrade to 18" wheels and put on 245/45/18 tires which have less sidewall = better cornerning.
#95794 - 06/07/07 01:46 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
mybad70 Offline
Loc: Huntsville, AL
A lot of the guys around here are running Falken Azenis RT615 tires. I had some on the back of my last mustang, theyre awesome tires. SCCA road race tires.
#95795 - 06/07/07 03:37 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Link works if you take the '.' off the end.

New struts will improve your ride. How many miles are on yours? Some will say they'll help the common sagging in the rear end, but I think thats also spring-related.
#95796 - 06/07/07 03:55 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
The Fridge Offline

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#95797 - 06/07/07 04:01 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
The Fridge Offline
I have 90k on a '00 GTP. I don't know my price range on everything yet, I know it won't be cheap but this is my first car after driving lumber wagon trucks.

My truck will do 105mph, and I have no intention of ever doing that again outside of a track, I am doing this so that my already quick car can scream though corners and make short work of rush hour traffic.

So I will be buying it piece by piece untill I am satisfied that I have everything that I want and then I will put it all together.

I do plan on buying 17's or 18's along with the susupension parts.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#95798 - 06/07/07 04:27 PM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
The Fridge Offline
With the kyb AGX struts, can I adjust them to get a bit of a rake? I have 90k on my gtp and no noticable rear end sagg. I was reading up on and old post about the SSC lowering kit and how much the owner liked it. I am going to try to absorb as much info on suspension stuff in the next month before I beging buying things. So that I don't waste my money.

So far I am looking at:

-18's w tires
-GMPP Handling Kit from pace performance
-Some of those brackets from Domrome
-KYB AGX Struts w/mounts
-Rear Tower Brace
-Poly Bushings
-Anti Pogo And Camber Kit

Missing Anything?

Any personal recommendations on brands? I don't want to have the best of everything and spent a crap load of money, I am not planning on making a race car out of it but I don't want the cheapest of everything either, a good compromise of the two is want i am looking for.

Thanks for the help and teaching me about all this stuff.

Any other vendors? Helpfull websites?

Thanks again everybody

Ryan

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#95799 - 06/08/07 10:00 AM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
The Fridge Offline
Sounds like I don't need the camber kit. Is this something I could do myself? Or should I bring it to a garage?

Does anybody else have anything to add?

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#95800 - 06/08/07 10:13 AM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
RooK Offline
IMO AGX struts aren't a requirement. They're adjustable, but if your like most people, you'll just set it and leave it anyway. I'd just go with GR2s and enjoy the savings.
#95801 - 06/08/07 10:32 AM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
Drew521 Offline
Loc: New Jersey
I have the SSC springs on my car and the car sits at 27" front, 28" back. It does look raked but those springs are softer and ride nice, the Vogtland's are better for handling.

You're going to want the adjustables if you get lowering springs - they are designed to handle the extra load. You shouldn't cheap out on your struts, they are a very important part of the vehicle. For only $250 more it's worth it.

Last but not least, the struts are adjustable for firmness, not ride height. The springs determine the height.
#95802 - 06/08/07 10:44 AM Re: Suspension ?'s Lots o q's
RooK Offline
A lot of people on the Stratus forums lower their cars, because performance mods are expensive. Many recommend not getting the AGX because the GR2s work fine and provide a firmer ride than stock anyway. There is also a problem with the AGX adjusters breaking anyway.

Like I said, if he's like most people, he won't be using the adjustments anyway, he'll just set it and leave it. So, it offers very little for the additional $250, which is more than enough to buy the GMPP kit itself. Just something he'll have to decide for himself.