Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96012 - 09/28/10 07:12 PM need some help
Ws6NightHawk Offline
Loc: St.Louis
Hey whats going on? as you can probably tell im new here and i have a friend in need of help. he has a 1999 GTP and whats to know whats some good tasteful mods that he should do first?
#96013 - 09/28/10 08:02 PM Re: need some help
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Welcome, nice WS6 you have. There is another member on here who has a Firebird I believe, close enough :p

Well a homemade Home Depot fenderwell intake is always a good start. It's one of the few mods that you can use no matter where he decides to go with the car, unless he turbo's it. Which is always my first suggestion. smile

Anyways, he needs to decide how far he wants to take the car. This will save a LOT of work and more importantly, money.

There is no point in getting ported exhaust manifolds and bigger downpipe if he later wants to go further with the car and then needs headers.

A good suggestion would be to take a look at the FAQ, lots of good cheap mods in there, but like I mentioned, he needs to know where he wants to go with it.
#96014 - 09/28/10 08:05 PM Re: need some help
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Welcome.

Are you talking performance mods or asthetic mods?
#96015 - 09/28/10 11:29 PM Re: need some help
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
This site has a ton of good information from the past, check out the search function. Unfortunately this site isnt as booming as it was a year ago.
#96016 - 10/01/10 11:18 PM Re: need some help
Ws6NightHawk Offline
Loc: St.Louis
Quote:
Originally posted by r.s.hutchinson:
Welcome, nice WS6 you have. There is another member on here who has a Firebird I believe, close enough :p

Well a homemade Home Depot fenderwell intake is always a good start. It's one of the few mods that you can use no matter where he decides to go with the car, unless he turbo's it. Which is always my first suggestion. smile

Anyways, he needs to decide how far he wants to take the car. This will save a LOT of work and more importantly, money.

There is no point in getting ported exhaust manifolds and bigger downpipe if he later wants to go further with the car and then needs headers.

A good suggestion would be to take a look at the FAQ, lots of good cheap mods in there, but like I mentioned, he needs to know where he wants to go with it.
thanks a lot man, and as far as the car goes he is just wanting a nice DD and is just wanting to have a car that has a little get up and go. i mean he was thinking smaller pulley, catback and CAI with a thremo and tune. how do u think that would go?
#96017 - 10/02/10 08:43 AM Re: need some help
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Forget the catback. No gains to be had there unless your shooting for the moon which it doesn't sound like you are. A smaller pulley would only benefit with the proper supporting mods. How small you want to go depends on what mods you'll need. If you want to keep a reliable DD I'd recomend a CAI, Tune, 3" DP. That will wake the car up yet keep your pistons safe and your DD DDable.
#96018 - 10/02/10 05:44 PM Re: need some help
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Like Herc said, forget the cat back. It's a waste of time. You won't see any gains out of it. Also, you'll spend lots of money on different mufflers and setups only to find that you'll never get a good sound out of the supercharged 3800.

If he wants to keep it reliable with fairly decent economy, I would suggest:

Speed Daddy headers (cheap ebay headers that have a few known cheaply fixed problems such as weld the crossover pipes and put a new flex in it. This saves you from wasting money on ported manifolds and a 3" downpipe since the headers have a 3" downpipe.

Also, a cheap homemade fender well intake. You can look for some How To's or just take a look at the engine bay and go from there, it's straight forward.

Change the plugs to Autolite 104's and put in a 180 thermostat.

This along with a tune should easily allow you to drop to a 3.4 pulley.

The great thing about all those mods is again, you can continue to use them even if you mod further (aside from the pulley since you'd be going smaller)

This will add some enjoyment to the car for under $300 and won't require you to tear into the motor to do rockers/springs/cam which can get pricey.