Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96087 - 09/15/02 01:26 AM supercharging a GT
Derek Offline
Loc: MA
Ok there was a post a while back about a supercharger for the l36, saying there was an aftermarket supercharger for it, I was wondering if anyone has any further info on this? I'd hate to have to get rid of my GT because I really love it... I guess I could wait for the '04 model, i'm sure I'd love that, but even if I did that I need something now!!! any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
Derek
#96088 - 09/15/02 01:57 PM Re: supercharging a GT
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Yep. there is a centifugal supercharger out. check:

http://www.zzperformance.com

It's kinda pricey at $3250, but a very complete kit.

ferb!
#96089 - 09/16/02 11:50 AM Re: supercharging a GT
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
This is great and who wouldn't want a 270 hp GT.. but you might as well include another $1000 in that price to rebuild the tranny wink
#96090 - 09/16/02 02:50 PM Re: supercharging a GT
Derek Offline
Loc: MA
does the gtp have a different tranny? what is the difference?
#96091 - 09/16/02 03:25 PM Re: supercharging a GT
Neo GTP Offline
Not sure of the difference on the tranny but there is one. And I don't know how all the other trannies are holding up in the modded GTP's Might be a good chain to start to give people a better idea on how good the trannies are in the GP's
#96092 - 09/18/02 11:35 AM Re: supercharging a GT
vortec4200 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights, MI
They both get basically the same tranny, with a few differences. It is a 4T65-E, which means 4 gears, transverse mounted (not front to back like a Camaro), 65 means it can withstand 650N-m of torque (I think). Not sure what the E means, probably Electronically controlled or something like that.

Here is where they differ. The L36 and L67 have different transmission RPO's. The difference between them is the torque converter diameter and the "beefiness" of the gearbox.

So it is much more likely that you will kill your tranny by adding onto the L36 than having a stock L67.
#96093 - 09/20/02 08:47 AM Re: supercharging a GT
Neo GTP Offline
Just thought of another issue. From the look of things it looks like the sc is on the intake side of the car and uses a long drive shaft for power. numer one... I don't like that (for that kind of money) and number two these are just in the production stage... are they even going to test it or what ? Sounds like they just want some orders but not this kid. I just realized if I actually do it , my girlfriends gt will be faster than my gtp confused
#96094 - 09/22/02 04:02 PM Re: supercharging a GT
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
I can understand that you want quality parts for your money, but check out this picture of the IPS CSC. The drive shaft is necessary too, as it would be even harder to reroute the intake to the front of the engine.

http://new.clubgp.com/gpg2002/fri/

third row has pictures of it. The shaft is VERY beefy and it appears to be a well constructed unit. Since this motor has the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, it's probably not the base model of CSC-kit.

I would probably wait for a few units to be installed and tested as a daily-driver before jumping aboard, but it seems like a very quality product (as are most ZZP items)

ferb!
#96095 - 09/22/02 04:12 PM Re: supercharging a GT
Neo GTP Offline
Cool thanx for the photos, and the info is interesting as well . Thanks
#96096 - 09/27/02 11:48 AM Re: supercharging a GT
Neo GTP Offline
Asked a few questions to zz performance and got a reply

questions

1. Will the sc work with a ram air hood. In particular the Sd Hood.

2. How hard will the extra h.p. be on the tranny ? Any mods you suggest for the tranny?

3. Do you need to recalibrate the pcm ?

4. Does it take long for installation ? Easy to put in or out for the season ? Or is there a way to make it switchable on when you need the power off when you don't.

5. any idea on how much worse it will be on gas ?

Answers

1 You should be able to make the Ram Air functional with the centrifugal kit.

2 The transmission should be fine. High RPM horsepower is greatly increased, but the torque increase is not as large.

3 The stock PCM will work fine, but you can see greater gains if you modify the PCM to allow higher shift points/rev limiter.

4 The install takes a few hours- it is comparable to other popular centrifugal kits.

5 Fuel economy is not reduced for normal driving. Some people actually report an increase in fuel economy. Driving to Kansas we saw 28 mpg in the '97 GT test car.