Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97400 - 12/16/02 05:02 PM Adding HUD to GTP?
kpmas Offline
Loc: Peterborough, ON
Hi there...

I have a 99 GTP that came without a HUD. I talked to the dealership today and they told me the part is $1300 Canadian funds but the whole install would come in around $8000 because they have to replace a majority of the parts in the dash...

I find this hard to believe... has anyone added one after purchase that could tell me what's *really* involved?

Thanks,

Paul
#97401 - 12/30/02 03:12 PM Re: Adding HUD to GTP?
Chris Jarrett Offline
Loc: Delaware County, PA
Fully Loaded
Reflective Badges Everywhere, S.S. Grilles, Thrasher CAI,
Painted Calipers,
180 T-stat, titanium tint,Blazertech 3200's, ASP 3.4
Chinny's Rims
#97402 - 01/03/03 08:34 PM Re: Adding HUD to GTP?
Brian N. Offline
Loc: Sheboygan, WI
Oh wow... that's a rather large price difference! =P
#97403 - 01/06/03 11:55 AM Re: Adding HUD to GTP?
Stormtrooper1 Offline
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Dosent the windsheild need a special coating For a Hud?

When I was looking at Buying a Bonneville a few years ago, it had a cracked windsheild, when i was getting prices on fixing it Every single glass shop i called asked if it had a hud.

confused Mike.
#97404 - 01/06/03 11:53 PM Re: Adding HUD to GTP?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
I've heard HUD will work on a standard windshield, it's just not as clear. I has a "ghost" because of the two layers of glass. Check out below for a bit more detail.

Quote from CanadianDriver....
"Heads up Display (HUD) also requires a special windshield. This type of dash display projects information such as vehicle speed, signal lights, and warning lights onto a special area of the windshield. To the driver, the projected display appears to float in the air outside the car, but it is actually just projected on the windshield. HUD allows the driver to monitor important vehicle information without having to take their eyes off the road. Early windshields built for HUD had a small transparent projection screen in the lower drivers side of the glass. The latest windshields look like regular windshields but the glass in the area of the projections has been tested for optical clarity. As can be expected, these windshields cost more than the standard unit."

Another site about HUD Windshields.
http://www.dupont.com/automotive/news/00pr/butacite.html

Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com