Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97514 - 02/02/08 08:38 PM New intake, new problems!
Zagnut Offline
Loc: USA
First off, i am new here and so far sounds like a great forum and everyone seems very knowledgable! I have a buick park avenue ultra, (obviously not a gp) but we share an engine! anyway i just got a k&n intake kit (made for gp) the acceleration is great until around 4k rpm, it seems to "surge" like a turbo car, or sometimes the engine will sputter and hesitate, anyone know whats going on?
#97515 - 02/02/08 08:43 PM Re: New intake, new problems!
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
did you disconnect the battery to help reset the fuel trims??
#97516 - 02/02/08 08:52 PM Re: New intake, new problems!
Zagnut Offline
Yea had it disconnected for the install about an hour.
#97517 - 02/02/08 09:05 PM Re: New intake, new problems!
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
you are suposto drive like a grandma for the first around 200 miles to help reset, most of the time people get excited to use it and they romp on it not good also it could be a spark problem, or even worse you are having some searious knock, the only way you can check for knock is to scan for it around 0-2 is normal or what you kinda expect at wot if you are getting anywhere around 6-7-8 not good that could be a problem, cat could also be clogged and not letting the exhaust gasses escape and killing the motor temp. there could be a million causes for all of this you just have to go through and check them
#97518 - 02/02/08 11:03 PM Re: New intake, new problems!
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
zagnut where are you at? if your in the daytona florida area i could scan your car for ya and help figure out whats going on.

my guess is its either KR or TM (torque managment) TM is where the car is seeing more Tq at the trany then expected and then the car pulls fuel and timing to limit power to make the trany last longer. many GM cars have some of their TM settings way to conservitive. to the point they make drivability issues. these can be raised with very little risk of damage to the trany. other settings can be adjusted aswell but extra care should be paid when driving the car.

besides adding fuel and optimizing ignition timing, much of the performance gain in a custom tuned PCM ( car's computer) is from adjusted TM settings.

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#97519 - 02/03/08 06:08 AM Re: New intake, new problems!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Is this in gear or neuteral?

I'm betting on neuteral. If so it's the rev limiter kicking in to protect the motor.
#97520 - 02/03/08 10:04 AM Re: New intake, new problems!
Zagnut Offline
Thanks for the offer, but im in new jersey, also that is in gear, the thing is that when i first start going when the engine is a little cooler, i can rev it all the way up the redline, but as soon as it warms up a little more it does this sputtering, today im going to unplug the battery and reset and hope it works!
#97521 - 02/08/08 11:25 AM Re: New intake, new problems!
Zagnut Offline
update: changed plugs and wires, PROBLEM SOLVED!! thanks for the help, the car is a beast with the intake!
#97522 - 02/08/08 03:45 PM Re: New intake, new problems!
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
LOL, good thing! I was just going to suggest plugs/wires as I was reading down and saw im a few days too short, was taken a "break" from the web! Now I'm bored at work and decided to jump on cheers