Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9819 - 07/31/08 11:55 PM a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
Loc: Seattle WA
I bought a 1997 Grand Prix SE, I noticed that the speed nob was broken off a/c, and thought nothing of it, then I noticed trip computer lights were off. My wife looked down on floor of passennger side and said whats this, and pulled a wire hooked up to a toggle switch from under mat,Hmmm, I turned on toggle and a/c fan came on and so did the trip computer lights, the only thing is that the blower is stuck on high(5), with knob broken off, I stuck needle nose pliers in and turned the blower speed switch to the left towards off possition, and the only thing that happened was the trip computer lights went off. I shut car off and started it back up with toggle still in on possition, blower still on high, turned speed knob back to 5 and trip computer lights came back on, but there was a clicking noise on left side of dash and head lights were flashing on and off. turned toggle off, turned car off, restarted car and clicking and flashing head light were gone. anyone had this prob, So I can fix it and trace line to toggle back to its soarce and hook it back up.
the power to toggle is comming from fuse box to toggle and red/black wire going to a/c somewhere.
I bought car off mexican lady who says "I dunno" when I ask her about it.
#9820 - 08/01/08 10:36 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
whoa. i have no idea, but this sounds entertaining

But to answer one question, the power wire in the glove box is going to the power drop. There are 3 wires back there
#9821 - 08/01/08 12:39 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
davmac Offline
Loc: Twin Cities, MN
^ My reaction exactly.
Sounds like someone came up with a creative solution to some electrical problem. The original prob might have been as simple as a bad fan resistor pack - or not. Check circuit diagram and see what components are common to blower and trip computer ...
Good luck in undoing the "fix". You might be in the market for some working but used electronic components. You might try Morad Parts or visit his ebay store for some replacements - once you figure out what you might try.
Update this thread. I'm interested in the outcome and wish you good luck.
#9822 - 08/01/08 01:11 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
These are quotes from another Grand Prix gp,se forum.

Originally Posted By: I have a 97 grand prix se and there is a problem with the fan. Pretty Much this is what happens:

Fan speed 1-4 never worked
Fan speed 5 worked until yesterday
When in 2-4 the headlights dont turn on
When in 5 now you hear a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the dash and the headlights repeatedly go on and off and then just stop working all together.

Ive heard this is a common problem with the car. What should be my first step from here. Its pretty annoying not having heat in the winter.[/QUOTE

Originally Posted By: ]sounds like the exact same thing that i was having problems with last year. for the longest time my dad and i thought it was a problem with a relay and swapped in a new one, but didn't fix the problem. the problem was difficult to diagnose by our mechanic because it came and went and always functioned perfectly for the mechanic so he couldn't do anything until he finally found the problem and fixed it. it turned out that there was a short in the ignition wiring harness thus the problem with the fan speeds and the flicking on/off of the headlights and of course that annoying clicking noise from the left part of the dash. i had a new one put in and it has worked perfectly since. good luck

[QUOTE=
he is right. the ignition harness is a common problem on the GP's. this is what is causing your problem. not sure how much automotive experience you have, not sure if its gonna be a DIY job for you, but this is what the problem is

Thank god no one here is pointing their finger towards that ignition harness problem as being the first culprit. I will get a fan resister pack, and trace thst red/blsck wire back to its soarse and find a wiring diagram (hopefully someone here has a diagram they can email me or something), and put it back where it belongs.

Is this the fan resister pack I am looking for? Its all that would com up after finaly just typing resister in search bar.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=DR702&PartType=861&PTSet=A
Thanks gentlemen
#9823 - 08/04/08 08:08 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
[quote]Originally posted by Mario:
These are quotes from another Grand Prix gp,se forum.

Originally Posted By: I have a 97 grand prix se and there is a problem with the fan. Pretty Much this is what happens:

Fan speed 1-4 never worked
Fan speed 5 worked until yesterday
When in 2-4 the headlights dont turn on
When in 5 now you hear a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the dash and the headlights repeatedly go on and off and then just stop working all together.

Ive heard this is a common problem with the car. What should be my first step from here. Its pretty annoying not having heat in the winter.[/quote
[QUOTE=]sounds like the exact same thing that i was having problems with last year. for the longest time my dad and i thought it was a problem with a relay and swapped in a new one, but didn't fix the problem. the problem was difficult to diagnose by our mechanic because it came and went and always functioned perfectly for the mechanic so he couldn't do anything until he finally found the problem and fixed it. it turned out that there was a short in the ignition wiring harness thus the problem with the fan speeds and the flicking on/off of the headlights and of course that annoying clicking noise from the left part of the dash. i had a new one put in and it has worked perfectly since. good luck

Originally Posted By: ]he is right. the ignition harness is a common problem on the GP's. this is what is causing your problem. not sure how much automotive experience you have, not sure if its gonna be a DIY job for you, but this is what the problem is[/QUOTE

Thank god no one here is pointing their finger towards that ignition harness problem as being the first culprit. I will get a fan resister pack, and trace thst red/blsck wire back to its soarse and find a wiring diagram (hopefully someone here has a diagram they can email me or something), and put it back where it belongs.

Is this the fan resister pack I am looking for? Its all that would com up after finaly just typing resister in search bar.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=DR702&PartType=861&PTSet=A
Thanks gentlemen

Anyone?
#9824 - 08/04/08 01:11 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Yes, and there's a cheaper one, if you're interested: RU867 As for knobs, try Ebay or the local junkyards. Good luck! cheers
#9825 - 08/04/08 06:04 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackarrow98gp:
Yes, and there's a cheaper one, if you're interested: RU867 As for knobs, try Ebay or the local junkyards. Good luck! cheers
Thanks bro, Nice pontiac also. And cheers to you too!
#9826 - 08/04/08 06:38 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
20gtp02 Offline
I was going to be the first to say the resistor, but with that crazy electric mess, I was not wanting to attempt to untangle the mess.
When speeds aren't working, it's usually the blower motor resistor.

#9827 - 08/05/08 08:18 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
Quote:
Thanks again, I hear schucks isn't the best place to buy electrical parts from, And I had bad experiences w/their starters and alternators from being faulty from the get go, but never purchased resistors, or anything like that from them.
Don't know what it involves replacing these resistors, but I try anything once.

a/c assembly is loose and mobile in its compartment and there are screws in trays, so hopefully when dash is apart I can secure it and the knob will popp back in.

Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
I was going to be the first to say the resistor, but with that crazy electric mess, I was not wanting to attempt to untangle the mess.
When speeds aren't working, it's usually the blower motor resistor.
Yea once I get the dash cover or whatever It is I have to remove to replace resistor, I should be able to find where wire goes.
#9828 - 08/05/08 09:21 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Here's a couple of write ups for you, Mario: How to Change the Blower Motor Resistor and Dash Removal
#9829 - 08/05/08 08:30 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
Quote:
Here's a couple of write ups for you, Mario: How to Change the Blower Motor Resistor and Dash Removal
Wow can't believe how easy it looks on both, the way the previous owner had wires hanging it looked like it would be a task, thanks budd, getting on it this weekend.

There's a car dealer license plate cover on license and leftover strips of paper on window,{sides of car lot for sale sign}, and the welcome and thank you paper mat covers on floor mats. I called the chevy dealer, gave the vin, and she said they sold car for 5999.00 march of last year, but couldn't match the name of person I bought it off for $3000.00, think the lady i got it off had someone rig up toggle and must of thought it brought value of car way down, so she dropped price to 3,000. beautifull,inside and out, and powerfull.
once I get my camera out of pawn I'll post some pic's. Thanks again for write ups.
#9830 - 08/06/08 11:40 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
How many miles? I bought my 97 SE 3-4 years ago from a dealer for something like 4500. 3000 doesn't seem out of line depending on mileage, 6000 seems extremely high. You could easily get a nice GTP for that kind of change.
#9831 - 08/07/08 08:26 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
How many miles? I bought my 97 SE 3-4 years ago from a dealer for something like 4500. 3000 doesn't seem out of line depending on mileage, 6000 seems extremely high. You could easily get a nice GTP for that kind of change.
115,000 miles, when I got it, don't know how many miles was on it, when it was on the car lot.
Called the baydo chevy car lot, they said it had 105,500 miles when sold for $5999.00 Probobly after taxes.

You see stuff like this on craigslist over here. Look at the milage on that one.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/ctd/786978052.html
#9832 - 08/07/08 01:43 PM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Wow, that just seems very pricey for the base model with 200k miles (not yours, craigslist ad you posted)!
#9833 - 08/08/08 09:44 AM Re: a/c blower stuck on high.
Mario Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
[b] How many miles? I bought my 97 SE 3-4 years ago from a dealer for something like 4500. 3000 doesn't seem out of line depending on mileage, 6000 seems extremely high. You could easily get a nice GTP for that kind of change.
115,000 miles, when I got it, don't know how many miles was on it, when it was on the car lot.
Called the baydo chevy car lot, they said it had 105,500 miles when sold for $5999.00 Probobly after taxes.

You see stuff like this on craigslist over here. Look at the milage on that one.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/ctd/786978052.html [/b]
The lady had 97 grand prix se on roadisde listed for 4000.00 didn't get any bites, my olds quad 4 broke down and I needed a car quick never met this lady before, but talked to her brother reguarding a pathfinder in the back parking lot that had 1500.00 tag on it, he said sister was willing to take 300.00 a paycheck payments until paid in full, but it was a stick and wife said no. Lady said she got two automatics, one beat up Audi for 1500.00 and the 97 grand prix for 4000.00, after showing her the wires hanging and rusty colored water in resivoir(dex coolant, Shhhh!)I got her to drop down to 3000.00 @ 300 every two weeks. She let me take car before 1st payment, so I cant complain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >