Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99655 - 09/30/04 07:00 PM HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
Julianna Offline
Loc: Kansas
Okay so maybe they're called "mods" I don't know. All I know is that I ordered a bunch of items to add to my '99 to make it a little more unique. However, I'm freaking out! The paint on my car is "Bronzemist" I believe, is the name. Pontiac no longer uses nor makes this color....which I was not aware of when I ordered the hood. So, basically, the hood is going to be here within the next few weeks, and I have NO CLUE where to take it, or IF I can take it anywhere. It comes without any paint on it, are they going to be able to match it correctly? And if not...what should I do? banghead I should have researched more but, I just thought it was "pretty" and I wanted one. Now I'm S.O.L. if the paint color isn't even around anymore, aren't I??
#99656 - 09/30/04 07:51 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
Where did you take it when they said they don't make it?????????
Any good body shop should be able to do it....
call around, or better yet, drive around so they can get the paint code....
cheers

Welcome aboard too! thumbsup
#99657 - 09/30/04 07:59 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
I have a bronzemist car too. that better not be right.

By law companies have to stock parts for 7 years past production date (or used to), Id imagine that would go for the paint too.

That just doesnt make sense. check with a few other body shops, or better yet go to a pontiac dealer and have THEM order you the paint.
#99658 - 09/30/04 10:16 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Julianna:
Pontiac no longer uses nor makes this color
Sounds like you went to the dealer.
Don't go the the dealer, call around to some paint shops and ask them how much they would charge you to paint your hood. They WILL be able to get the color and paint it for you.
I worked at a paint shop a long, long time ago and I know how they get paint. They don't get it from the dealership. They get it from Automotive paint dealers, has nothing to do with Pontiac. The color code is what they use to blend the colors. Kind of like a recipe book.

I promise you there is no color in the wolrd that you can no longer get. You can get any color that's out there, even some that aren't.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#99659 - 10/01/04 12:42 AM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
pgp2000gt Offline
Loc: Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Any body shop should be able to mix you up what you need. find the paint code (on the under side of the trunk lid, you'll find a black and white decal with a bunch of three alphanumeric codes, the paint code is on the bottom, in the middle, and should read something like U****/**)
the first four are the code you need, then give that to the bodyshop to see if they have the mixture code. Don't sweat it. Plus most hoods you order will not come painted
#99660 - 10/01/04 07:16 AM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Any respectable bodyshop can match the paint for you. Besides they'll have to account for fading of the original paint anyways. Don't sweat it too much just find a good bodyshop.
#99661 - 10/02/04 12:26 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
Julianna Offline
Thanks for the responses everyone. And yes, the person that told me that was the dealership. I was actually asking about the 2004's, and getting another one, but quickly changed my mind when I learned they're not made in 2-door. Fuggit...don't want one then. lol Anyway, YES it was the dealer who told me that Pontiac no longer uses or makes that color. I guess I may have misunderstood him. Apparently Pontiac just doesn't use it for their cars anymore. Well I'm relieved. I'm taking it to a local body shop when it gets here, I just hope they don't mess 'her' up, she's my baby ya know. wink thanks again ya'll.
#99662 - 10/02/04 06:15 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
PPG paint shops can match all gm colors to the T!!!!! Dont worry julianna.........
#99663 - 10/03/04 12:12 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
all a paintshop has to do is look in the trunk for the paint code and then match it by that. our old aurora had some puter rose color that was an odd one, and my friend matched it perfect.
dhp 1.0
#99664 - 10/04/04 03:34 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
Julianna Offline
Well...okay scratch everything I said about the paint. LOL. I found this awesome color and I desperately want that on my car. So, now I'm thinking about saying screw it, and just repainting the entire car along with the hood. crazy I've heard that it will lessen the value of it, but frankly I could care less. I don't plan on ever selling "Boom-boom"....so what does it matter if it lessens her value, right? But THANK YOU all for the responses, the advice, and the help. I'm almost certain it will come in useful for future projects. wink
#99665 - 10/04/04 05:28 PM Re: HELP!! They dropped my paint color! *&$#%
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Color changes are expensive, they have to get everywhere and paint everything, but good luck with it.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.