Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99735 - 05/10/08 05:38 AM Yay, my turn...
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
OK, so, as I was leaving for work today, I rolled down my windows. My driver's side window made a funny noise, and as soon as I looked at it, it stopped moving. When I got to work, a couple guys and I tried to pull it up to shut it, but we can't get it closed. It's stuck open just wide enough for someone to stick their arm in and hit the unlock button... <_<

So, I'm searching the forums right now, but where can I find a write up on how to get the door panel off, and how to replace the window stuff, if I need to?

I'm not sure what's wrong with it yet, but luckily, I have Saturday off, so hopefully I can get some stuff done. When I hit the down button, it moves a little, and stops, but it won't roll up at all. It makes a noise like it's trying to, but that noise only lasts 1-2 seconds, and then nothing. Sounds like something is moving a little bit, but then won't move any further, since it won't make any more noise.

What do you guys think the problem is, and how do I find out? Keep in mine, you're dealing with a complete novice here. I can follow simple instructions, but won't be able to just go out and do anything on my own. I'm just hoping my dad has the tool to get the screws for the door panel off...I've never seen that kind of screw before. confused

I think the only problem I HAVEN'T had in the past year that the Grand Prix's are prone to is tranny problems. *insert angry and worried smiley here* My rear passenger window hasn't worked for months...
#99736 - 05/10/08 06:06 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
I just replaced the regulator/motor assembly in my g/fs aunts tahoe, it was doing the same thing yours is, the cable for the regulator broke and got jammed up in the works, it was only $120 all new with new motor from Advance Auto parts

as far as taking the door panel off, pry (gently) on the master switch and then after its out, unplug everything then set it aside, then its one screw in the handle/lock bezel, pop out the two "beauty" caps under the pull handle and there are torx bit screws (cant remember exactly what size) then after those are all out, go around the perimeter and pull gently until you feel the door panel let go of the door and DO NOT forget about the little piece at the top of the panel at the very front of the door

"Mr. Mom"
#99737 - 05/10/08 09:18 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
To take the door panel off you'll need to remove the two torx screws under the door handle. Gently pry along the door edge pulling the plastic clips out. You'll need to unplug the courtesy light (if you have it) and then switches and speakers as you go. I found it's easier that way then trying to pull the switch plate up and possibly breaking it.

Mine gave up the ghost again luckily this time it's all the way up and won't come down.
#99738 - 05/10/08 11:48 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
The motor/regulator assemblys on ebay can be had for under 100 bucks. Very straightforward install.

Unbolt the window from the regulator, and then tape it up and out of the way. Then you can unbolt the regulator and slide the whole assembly out
#99739 - 05/10/08 03:29 PM Re: Yay, my turn...
Acefighter Offline
OK, I took the door panel off, that was very easy. Looking forward to changing my speakers now... laugh

Anyway, I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

I can't even get to the window to get it closed, nor am I sure where the motor/regulator are or how to get to them. The fact that it is inside the door's bowels and behind some plastic held on by some goop wasn't mentioned. :p

I can probably figure out the motor/regulator given some time, but I don't have the faintest idea how to get the window closed.

So, I put the door panel back on, and turned the car alarm on. I hate having my car look like this:
#99740 - 05/10/08 03:50 PM Re: Yay, my turn...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
pull that plastic crap out of the way (i threw mine out).

behind it you will see two bolts at the bottom of the window that connect the regulator to the window. Once you undo those 2, you can lift the window
#99741 - 05/11/08 12:25 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
Acefighter Offline
At which point, can I put the bolts back in, and the window will stay up? Or do I need to find a way t o rig it to stay up?
#99742 - 05/11/08 09:51 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
pull that plastic crap out of the way (i threw mine out).

behind it you will see two bolts at the bottom of the window that connect the regulator to the window. Once you undo those 2, you can lift the window
That plastic is vapor shield to keep moisture from outside of the door(which is not airtight) from seeping into the interior.

By removing the vapor shield you will allow moisture to corrode the speaker and window switch leads, seep into the interior panel eventually ruining it, and allow dew to form on the inside of the door.
#99743 - 05/12/08 01:53 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
At which point, can I put the bolts back in, and the window will stay up? Or do I need to find a way t o rig it to stay up?
I still need to know if the window will stay up or not. I'm debating just taking it to the dealership and having them replace everything, though I'm not sure I want to spend the money. lol
#99744 - 05/12/08 11:41 AM Re: Yay, my turn...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
If you can get the regulator to move the window up the window will stay up. If you open it and see it need to replace the regulator cause of mechanical issues you can cut the wire pull the window up and use some thing to prop the window up until you can get a new regulator. That's what I did with mine so I could drive the car in the winter while I waited for the parts to come in.
#99745 - 05/12/08 12:05 PM Re: Yay, my turn...
T.J. Offline
Loc: Tennessee
What you would have to get is a motor and regulator assembly... DIY if you can... they overcharge for labor... i've had it happen twice to me... when my driver front went out it cost $250 to get it fixed (i believe)... then a week later my rear passenger went out, its yet to be fixed... i cut a piece of wood and zip-tied it in to hold up the window untill i feel like getting it fixed... i dont really need that window to roll down anyway smile
#99746 - 05/12/08 12:52 PM Re: Yay, my turn...
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Ace,

All you gotta do is drive to Tomball and hit up Slick's automotive... :p

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#99747 - 05/12/08 02:20 PM Re: Yay, my turn...
Acefighter Offline
Slick, I PMed you. lol I'm sure Slick's Automotive would be cheaper than a dealership.