Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107209 - 05/19/09 12:21 PM Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Key stuck?

Quote:
Originally posted by SlickGTP:
For all those that are having problems removing the key after parking the car.

Ignition Shift Lock Diagnostic and Repair:

Required Tools/Supplies:

3/8" Ratchet
12" and 6" extensions for the ratchet.
10mm or 13mm Sockets(can't remember what size is needed)
Small and medium sized flat bladed screwdrivers
Emery boards or fine sand paper
Some Elbow grease
Dielectric grease
2 - Bolts with nuts
1 - Bolt with nut
Wrenches that fit the above bolts
Dremel or similar device with a grinding/cutoff wheel
Lotsa Patience

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Diagnostics:

Remove the Center Console tray and place out of the way. You will also want to empty the cubby at the front of the console. To remove the Center Console lid, open the cup holder, set the parking brake, place the shifter in D/3, and pry up from the back to the front. If this is the first time this has been done on your car it will be a little difficult. There are about four sets of clips on both sides of the lid. Take your time and it should come off intact, just move slowly. When all the clips have been disengaged, slide the lid up and rearward off the center console. Place it out of the way somewhere.

Next remove the Shift Knob, Boot, and Shift Indicator plate. To do this you will need to take out the clip that holds the knob onto the shifter. It's located towards the bottom front of the knob. I found that a small screwdriver worked best to pry it forward and out. After the clip has been removed, all three pieces can be removed as one.

Remove the wire harness plug from the front of the Shifter. While listening to the steering column, carefully jump the pink and purple/white wires in the plug to see if the solenoid in the column activates.

[img]http://www.unknownbrewer.com/gallery2/ma..._serialNumber=2[/img]

There should be a click when the wires are jumped. If the solenoid activates then the issue probably lies in the module that the plug goes into. Otherwise, the issue is either in the wiring harness or the lock cylinder.

WARNING: If you jump the wrong wires, you will most likely blow the BTSI fuse. I've done it and hence the my warning.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To remove the module, you will need to remove the Shifter Assembly. First disconnect the Transmission selector from the Shifter Assembly. The rod pops off of the Shifter with a little side pressure and then there is a little clip that holds it to the front of the Assembly. Next remove the wiring harness clips from base and unbolt the Assembly from the floor of the car.

After the bolts have been removed, the Shifter can be removed from the car and taken somewhere where you can perform surgery. xD

First grind off the rivet that holds the Shifter to the base of the assembly. Once the rivet has been removed, take the shifter off of the base.

Now, pop off the little circular disc and remove the little plastic lever from the module. Grind the two rivets that hold the module to the Shifter. Remove the rivets and slide the module off of the shifter taking care not to lose the spacer disc that sits between them as well as the funky cylindrical piece that fits into the module and just happens to be spring loaded.

Alrighty, at this point you should have a little black box that fits in the palm of your hand. There are four clips that hold it together. Carefully disengage each of the clips and pull the lid off of the module. I've found a small screwdriver to be handy here. With the lid off of the module, you should see a circuit board with a few different things on it. You're primarily interested in the long brass looking switch that rests on a contact and the end of a nylon rod.

Take a fine emery board or sand paper and lightly sand the contacts on the switch. After sanding them, place a small amount of dielectric grease on the contacts and reassemble the module.

At this point everything should be the reverse of what's been done up to now. The only exception is that you will need to replace the rivets with bolts. The one suggestion I have is when you bolt things back together on the assembly, place a drop of loktite on bolts. I didn't do this and one of the bolts fell out after the nut had come loose. For the few days that it was like this, it felt like I had a manual in my car, but that's besides the point. crazy

I'll be adding pics of the actual module tonight, but I figured I should at least get this out for y'all to look over. Holler at me if you have questions and I'll help wherever I can.

-- John

Edit: looks like I need to fix those pictures too.. Sorry for the blurry text. =\

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 10/03/05 03:22 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 05/13/06 07:40 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first AustinGTP 08/23/06 08:30 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first AustinGTP 09/06/06 06:22 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 02/27/07 10:27 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 03/31/07 01:41 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first AustinGTP 04/08/07 06:43 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 04/10/07 04:29 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 04/26/07 05:44 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first AustinGTP 07/15/07 09:31 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 10/18/07 07:21 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 10/19/07 07:44 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 11/08/07 10:17 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 11/19/07 07:38 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first AustinGTP 12/27/07 04:02 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first AustinGTP 02/13/08 06:45 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 03/15/08 04:54 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 04/07/08 07:36 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 04/10/08 05:45 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 05/24/08 09:36 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 08/26/08 04:03 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 11/22/08 05:15 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 12/18/08 06:57 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 01/06/09 08:08 AM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 01/12/09 08:24 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 02/11/09 02:36 PM
Re: 97-03 FAQ, Perf mods, common fixes read first HercMan(Rob) 05/19/09 12:21 PM