Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151668 - 03/31/05 01:22 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
SECOND OFF
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

The media coverage on the auto industry of late has done much to paint an ugly portrait of General Motors. This happens when a company's financial results are not meeting projections and so I can understand and respect the increased scrutiny.

But I must draw a line between legitimate coverage and manipulating facts to create "news." Which is what happened when remarks I made in answer to a question at an analyst conference in New York last week were taken out of context and twisted just enough to cause panic among a lot of good people.

Many of you probably read something to the effect that "GM is considering shedding a brand." Let me say it now, for the world to hear: No, we have no plans to shed a brand. Period.

I blame myself, because I should know better. It's always dangerous to field a speculative question, especially in an environment in which we’re increasingly under the media microscope.

But, if you are interested, here are the facts. Buick and Pontiac, the two brands most often cited in these press reports, will be around for a long time, refreshed every year with strong new products. Just look at the G6, the Torrent, Lacrosse and Lucerne. Look no further than Cadillac, GMC and Chevrolet, and soon, Saturn, to see what our brand commitment is all about.

Remember, a lot of people said Cadillac was dead, and look at it now.

Frankly, I find it inexcusable even in today's "shock-type" journalism environment for the media to run with a story without clarifying the statements actually made.

Mark LaNeve, our sales and marketing vice president for North America, had it exactly right in an e-mail he sent to our dealers last week regarding this matter. "We are not discussing or planning the elimination of any of our brands. On the contrary, we're investing more heavily than ever on new products and marketing programs – GM is investing in all of its brands."

In the same memo, LaNeve also cited our intentions to "reignite Pontiac's muscular design and street credibility" and build Buick as a brand with vehicles that are the "quietest and highest-quality in their segment."

And now you know, with apologies to Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
Another Oldsmobile? zachd 03/28/05 06:55 PM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? Rich GTP 03/29/05 01:04 AM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? zachd 03/30/05 05:11 PM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? framos242 03/30/05 05:20 PM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? Rich GTP 03/31/05 01:10 AM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? BryantGTP 03/31/05 11:47 AM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? Jizz 03/31/05 01:22 PM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? Jizz 03/31/05 01:22 PM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? Jizz 03/31/05 01:23 PM
Re: Another Oldsmobile? 4 T 8 states 03/31/05 02:40 PM