New member, few questions!!

Posted by: 01GTshaner

New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 01:19 PM

Hey everyone i'm new here, as of this morning actually. Really enjoyed scanning the forums over everyones rides, all unique in their own way, i'm proud to own one.

I'm a 18 year old student whos looking for some minor and hopefully rather inexpensive mods for my 01 GT. Nothing major so far has been done, i got the 'custom car grills' fronts, throughout infiniti speakers, jvc deck, and thats about it.

I'm interested in getting a simple aftermarket air filter (i hear its quite inexpensive, boosts a bit of HP and provides a nicer purr?) as well as new exhaust (preferably new mufflers and tips) .. i'm going for a slightly more loud sounding exhaust? I noticed a lot of people use the Flowmaster 40 series?

Please throw me your suggestions for me! I'm on a kinda stingy budget making payments / gas with a part time job lol so .. thanks and i'm glad to be here!!
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 01:28 PM

Welcome!

Make your own intake at home depot. Thats the cheapest first mod you can do.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 01:43 PM

care to elaborate on how one would do this ? :p
Thanks =D
Posted by: r.s.hutchinson

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 02:12 PM

Welcome man, you actually did some reading, good start!

To make your own open cone intake you just need a cone filter and some pvc pipe. Their are many ways to do this. Basically look at an intake and get some PVC pipe that matches. You'll likely need a 45* PVC elbow,some straight PVC pipe and a filter.

As for exhaust the FM 40's are over priced, I have some 20$ Summit Turbo muffs and they sound nearly the same.

If you are really on a budget and want a good sound that is just louder, then keep the stock muffs. Replace your u-bend and resonator with straight pipe and get some nice exhaust tips you like and have them put on your stock muffs.
Posted by: BoostenGTP

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 02:16 PM

Welcome. yes the home depot intake is the easiest first mod.
Posted by: Acefighter

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 02:18 PM

http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/intake.html
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/intake2.html

Those are both write ups to build an intake.

Welcome! We want to see pictures of you car. smile

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:07 PM

Responding to Hutch's post, would doing what you said to do, replacing the tips and the u-bend would give me a slightly different sound? and obviously a more nice looking rear end! About how much would this run me?

Ace - i'll get pictures up soon! is it okay to post them on this topic here?

Thanks again - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01GTshaner:
Responding to Hutch's post, would doing what you said to do, replacing the tips and the u-bend would give me a slightly different sound? and obviously a more nice looking rear end! About how much would this run me?

Ace - i'll get pictures up soon! is it okay to post them on this topic here?

Thanks again - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Its going to give you a bit throatier sound. Aftermarket mufflers on these cars dont sound good..

And yes, you can post your pics here. We are picture whores, you can put them just about anywhere you want
Posted by: jaybur

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:14 PM

check your car for bugs....... I think you just got bit by a MOD bug, lol. what are you planning for the car? look at it that way first. Don't just go throwing money at it with no plan, or you might buy something that will have to be changed later anyway.

so do you want it to basically be stock ?

going to mod later on as you get the extra $$

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:20 PM

You have a good point, i guess i'm just overrun with all the amazing things that are able to be done and jumping the gun lol. As for what i'd really like to put in right away, probably an air intake and i'd eventually like to save up for those Bullit rims which just look amazing.

Can i ask how much they run?
Other than that .. i'm not really 100% sure what would be worthwhile for me to put in, being on a budget and all.

I'm in class right now LOL! I'll post pictures when i get home.

Thanks !

Quote:
Aftermarket mufflers on these cars dont sound good..
I agree, and I'm sure others will disagree.

I think these cars sound awesome at idle or up to a little over 2400 rpms, but then they start sounding like a V6.....raspy.

unless you just want to be "loud and proud" I would not recommend any exhaust mods unless you plan on going further later, I mean its a GT so in stock form the air box and Ubend delete won;t really do that much in reality.

the loud exhaust will just make you stomp the gas more. so unless you plan on future power adding mods, just stay stock and focus on appearance, there are plenty of cars that will throw an ass whoopin on a GT these days so don't try to get more attention with loud pipes!

that being said, lets see some pics....
Posted by: Acefighter

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
And yes, you can post your pics here. We are picture whores
x2 thumbsup

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Quote:
[b] Responding to Hutch's post, would doing what you said to do, replacing the tips and the u-bend would give me a slightly different sound? and obviously a more nice looking rear end! About how much would this run me?
Its going to give you a bit throatier sound. Aftermarket mufflers on these cars dont sound good...[/b]
Deleting the resonator will make it louder, and like Corey said it will make throatier. The stock mufflers actually sound pretty good.

Removing the u-bend and resonator will only cost you however much straight pipe costs plus install. I imagine the pipe would be like $5-10, muffler tips all vary depending on what you want and install would be maybe $50 for everything.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:22 PM

Lol !!! I'm probably leaning more towards appearance mods than performance mods. I guess a neat list would be : Projector lights, rims & tires, tail lights. Thats about it thats really up there. And again .. PICS SOON! laugh

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:22 PM

I got my bullits for $375 with tires that were like new tread. just check around locally first the shipping fees will kill ya!

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:24 PM

only 50 for everything? I'd say thats a pretty decent investment. Kinda overlapping posts here lol, but i think that would be one of the first things to do now that im' informed ! Thanks Hutch.

And $375 only ... oh my goodness thats a steal.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:27 PM

Install at an exhaust shop would be $50, that doesn't include parts. Straight pipe to replace ubend and resonator I'm guessing would be $10.

The tips will be mos expensive depending on what you want. Look around ebay and see if you like anything.

PS, you're from Canada too? where abouts?

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:31 PM

How long of a pipe would i be looking at, and diameter?

I'm in Windsor, Ontario =)

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:34 PM

Just take it to the shop and they will have the pipe there to do it.

I'm in Belleville, like 2.5 - 3 ish hours away.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:35 PM

Oh nice! Been there a few times!! Good to know i have a fellow ontarian here haha.

PS. I really like your car lol.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:41 PM

Thanks. You should come to the spring BBQ in Mississauga next yr, their are lots of nice ones.

You got PM btw.
Posted by: Kiddo

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:46 PM

Funny, I'm new here too.Not to mention 18 as well.

As for the topic, I'm having my intake removed or replaced once I get enough money. According to the shop I went to (they are fixing my fuel pump right now $700), it is not advisable to put an intake just for additional 15hp because water might get in and wack up the engine.
OR
I can get a box to cover it ($245).

I'm also thinking of getting better looking exhausts. (After all the fixing and repairs)

funny how you got 6667 and I got 6668 member #

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 03:53 PM

$700 to replace your fuel pump? does your butt hurt? cause you got raped.

and don't listen to those techs, they know nothing.

Unless you drive through a lake (and if you do then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are going to hydrolock) then putting an intake on isn't going to cause any problems.

And don't spend $245 on a cold air intake, I picked up my FWI for $40 and it outperforms a $245 K&N cai.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 04:08 PM

You're very right, dude.
It was $200 labor and 500 something for the "good fuel pump". (Although, there are $200 ones on the internet).

And yeah, I think I'm just going to get a FWI.
The tech was taking my car too personal. He was starting to treat it like it was his own car. Started inspecting every single inch of the car and wanted to replace everything. O_O

And...do you know what's wrong if the clock or AM-FM display doesn't light up but still works?

Thanks btw
Posted by: elen0841

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 04:18 PM

r.s. is correct. I dont know of anybody who has had any trouble with a FWI sucking up water. You will be fine.

As far as other appearance mods go...most of them are very simple and cheap. Tinting your tail lights costs a 15$ can of VHT niteshades and a can of clear spray paint and some sandpaper. You can do a lot with these cars to make them look sharp.

Im waiting for the pics!...lol

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiddo:
Started inspecting every single inch of the car and wanted to replace everything. O_O

And...do you know what's wrong if the clock or AM-FM display doesn't light up but still works
That's what they do to most women, they figure they don't know anything so they will tell them lots of things need to be replaced so they make more money.

Maybe that's not the case for you but it is not unheard of.

As for your stereo, if you hit the cubby hole beside it, does it light up? It's a common problem, their is a link for a fix somewhere, I will have a look for you.

EDIT: I'm limited to what I can check here at work because they block half the sites. It MIGHT have been on Herc's website which is no longer, but I have a feeling that it was a write up by BackInBlack. I can't find his links right now either though. Maybe someone will help you out, I am pretty sure it is a writeup by back in black.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 04:51 PM

Here's the radio display write up: http://www.backinblackgp.com/Radio_Lamp_repair.htm

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 05:01 PM

Hutch can i ask where you got that intake? You're naming off these extremely cheap parts left and right and i want the details !!! Being Canadian i feel like i'm paying less for the item (say off eBay) and getting destroyed with the shipping!!!

I'll also consider that BBQ as it would give me time to mod out as well as meet you guys ! I also got your PM and i'll head there. Thanks.
Posted by: elen0841

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 05:04 PM

Just go to a parts store and pick up a cone filter. Then go to a hardware store and pick up some PVC piping and elbows and make your own. Dont quote me, but I believe thats where he got his $40 intake. Am i right r.s.?

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 05:38 PM

check out the For Sale section of the site I sent you, that's where I got my overkill FWI, they are no longer made though.

That's where you will find a lot of good deals.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elen0841:
Just go to a parts store and pick up a cone filter. Then go to a hardware store and pick up some PVC piping and elbows and make your own. Dont quote me, but I believe thats where he got his $40 intake. Am i right r.s.?
No, my intake is part homemade and part overkill. I picked up the kit used from a guy locally for $40 shipped. It included the whole overkill fwi which was originally $150+. It came with the block off plate, IAT extension, filter and piping. He also included his own PVC pipe.

For my intake I used the K&N filter, the IAT extension and the fenderwell block-off plate. I then got a 4" polished aluminum pipe and cut it to fit.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 07:49 PM

I made my intake for like 40 bucks. including the filter.

Just a 45* elbow with a 3" coupler and a filter. Drill a hole for the IAT and youre golden

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 07:55 PM

I'm defiantely not a handy man with the tools i might have to persuade our family mechanic to do it lol. Thanks again guys

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 08:00 PM

Quote:
I'm defiantely not a handy man with the tools i might have to persuade our family mechanic to do it lol. Thanks again guys
Nah, dont do that. This is something to get your feet wet before you start throwing cams and intercoolers at this thing.

If you go to home depot, there is an entire section of PVC pipe. Get a 45* bend piece and a 3" rubber coupling. (Ask the guys at home depot, lowes, etc.) They will know what this is. Then get your 9" filter of choice.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 08:22 PM

dude, I got an ugly piece of painted pvc pipe (that you can repaint or I can paint gloss black for you if you want) that you can use as a fwi. It just won't have a blockoff plate to be a true fwi. Just pay for shipping and it's yours.

You'll need a 9" filter and a 3" rubber coupler/fernco to attach it to your tb.

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 08:54 PM

oh okay than lol smile sounds ez enough might as well give it a shot. !

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 09:01 PM

my bad...the $700 I was talking about included a sensor. Didn't mean to diss my mechanic.

And I'm with shaner, I'm afraid I'll be wasting my time trying to make anything home-made.But, if it is that cheaper, I might give it a try.
Posted by: gteisele

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/03/08 09:32 PM

still expensive.....but i have a 3 " downpipe....or stock DP with u bend delete....if you want to increase exhaust flow

Re: New member, few questions!! - 11/05/08 01:13 AM

Sorry to say this late.
Thanks bunch to rshutchinson and Blackarrow98gp.
Really appreciate it.

that's all smile